Skip to content
Study in Quebec and Canada

Our lawyers and immigration consultants are here to help international students

In today’s competitive global market, Canada wants to attract and retain as many international students as possible in order to add more educated workers to its workforce. With that in mind, it has established programs to encourage foreign students to come to Canada. These programs allow foreign students to work during and after their studies, and in some cases, they can apply for permanent residence after they graduate.

Whether you plan to study in Quebec or in another province, the federal government is responsible for approving study permit applications.

Our Canadian immigration lawyers and consultants can help you apply to study in Canada.

Our articles for foreign students

Do you have further questions about the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec or CAQ), the study permit or the post-graduation work permit (PGWP)? Find out more here.

No news

Study permits

Study permits are documents issued by the Canadian government authorizing international students to study in Canada. Most foreign students who want to study in a Canadian province will need a study permit, which must be obtained before arriving on Canadian soil.

Note that study permits are not visas. Depending on your situation, you may need to apply for a   or an electronic travel authorization in addition to the study permit.

How to get a Canadian study permit

In order to apply for a Canadian study permit, you will need certain important documents, such as your passport, your letter of acceptance to the learning institution where you will be studying, and proof that you can support yourself and any people accompanying you.

In most cases, you must apply before entering Canada. However, some people may apply for the permit even if they are already in the country.

In a few specific cases, you may be able to apply for the permit upon entering Canada.

How to get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate

If you plan to study in Quebec, you must get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec or CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) before you can apply for a study permit. The CAQ is required for all stays longer than 6 months and applies to all international students, with certain exceptions.

The quickest way to get the CAQ is by applying online through the MIFI website. In order to apply for a CAQ, you will need the same documents the federal government requires for the study permit.


Can you work in Canada as an international student?

Since 2014, foreign students in Canada have been allowed to work part-time (no more than 20 hours a week) during their studies without needing a work permit. During the holidays, they can work full-time.

Students must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for off-campus work. For more information, visit the Government of Canada website.

Working in Canada after graduation

In Canada, international students who studied full-time have 180 days after receiving their final grades to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

When the PGWP expires, there are several options for former foreign students to continue working while they wait for permanent residence (or not). Our immigration professionals offer various legal consultation services to help you through the process.

The Nadia Barrou law firm has extensive experience helping international students in Canada

Do you want to study in Quebec? Are you looking for qualified professionals to help you apply for a CAQ, study permit or PGWP? Nadia Barrou’s team can guide you through the application process.

Contact us for a legal consultation at our Montreal office.